Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the $12.5-million addition of the Munroe Science Center to Wesleyan College is the first major academic building to be constructed on the campus in more than 30 years. Following closely to the original masterplan by Walter and Weeks (1928), the new building is situated in a central location overlooking the main green space and is adjacent to the historic Georgian-revival buildings.
In addition to state-of-the-art classrooms, teaching and research labs, the 42,000-square-foot building also houses a greenhouse for field biology study, and astronomy deck. The KISMET Community Learning Center is a multi-purpose space that enables the school to advance its community outreach programs and special women in science programs. The project was designed by the collaborative efforts of Lord Aeck & Sargent and Dunwody Beeland & Henderson. Project construction was performed by Chris R. Sheridan Construction of Macon, Georgia.
Geotechnical & Environmental Consultants, Inc. (GEC) was selected to work with the design team by performing the subsurface exploration and geotechnical engineering evaluation for the project. GEC also performed all construction services testing for the project including soil, concrete, masonry, structural steel and stormwater sampling.